An introduction

This is a semi-public place to dump text too flimsy to even become a blog post. I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you have a lot of time to waste. You'd be better off at my livejournal. I also have another blog, and write most of the French journal summaries at the Eurozine Review.

Why do I clutter up the internet with this stuff at all? Mainly because I'm trying to get into the habit of displaying as much as possible of what I'm doing in public. Also, Blogger is a decent interface for a notebook

Saturday, January 22, 2011

origin of the fourth estate

Where the term Fourth Estate comes from:
The idea of the press as a "Fourth Estate" came to prominence during the nineteenth century. In 1837 Robert Carlyle referred to "A Fourth Estate of Noble Editors" in The French Revolution: A History, and in On Heroes and Hero Worship (1841) stated that "Burke said there were Three Estates in parliament; but in the Reporters' Gallery yonder, there sat a Fourth Estate more important far than they all". Carlyle continued: "Literature is our Parliament too. Printing, which comes necessarily out of Writing, I say often, is equivalent to Democracy. Invent Writing, Democracy is inevitable."

No comments:

Post a Comment