An introduction

This is a semi-public place to dump text too flimsy to even become a blog post. I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you have a lot of time to waste. You'd be better off at my livejournal. I also have another blog, and write most of the French journal summaries at the Eurozine Review.

Why do I clutter up the internet with this stuff at all? Mainly because I'm trying to get into the habit of displaying as much as possible of what I'm doing in public. Also, Blogger is a decent interface for a notebook

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Charming introduction to Theodore Zeldin's books of French history:
Zeldin's approach can be understood as a kind of historical ethnography, while Todd's approach emphasizes processes and structures of nation formation.


What's striking is how out-of-place Zeldin's work must be in contemporary academic history -- but equally, how it's the kind of history people really want to write, and to read. I'm becoming increasingly sympathetic to the idea of some kind of revival of 19th century humanities, with the diligence and the emotional involvement. I'm not sure if you can manage that without the racism and shallowness -- though is it really better to have your prejudices concealed behind dull prose and academic walls?

No comments:

Post a Comment