An introduction

This is a semi-public place to dump text too flimsy to even become a blog post. I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you have a lot of time to waste. You'd be better off at my livejournal. I also have another blog, and write most of the French journal summaries at the Eurozine Review.

Why do I clutter up the internet with this stuff at all? Mainly because I'm trying to get into the habit of displaying as much as possible of what I'm doing in public. Also, Blogger is a decent interface for a notebook

Monday, January 10, 2011

Cibelle

I'm not entirely convinced by Bruce Sterling's love of Cibelle. He says of the 'Abravanista' movement around her:

So the Abravanista crowd are a kind of "oh fuck off" counterculture who have gone into a vibrant, post-traumatic creative scene. It's this air of surreal nihilism that puts some iron in their bones. It's why I take them seriously and consider them global-scale trend-setters as an art movement.


Also entertaining is that she's very firm about being based in Dalston -- in the same way as artists of other generations might emphasise being in the Castro, or the Greenwich Village, or the Left Bank. Queue laughter from all my father's generation

No comments:

Post a Comment