An introduction

This is a semi-public place to dump text too flimsy to even become a blog post. I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you have a lot of time to waste. You'd be better off at my livejournal. I also have another blog, and write most of the French journal summaries at the Eurozine Review.

Why do I clutter up the internet with this stuff at all? Mainly because I'm trying to get into the habit of displaying as much as possible of what I'm doing in public. Also, Blogger is a decent interface for a notebook

Sunday, April 17, 2011

vim outliner (snippet)

Vim has a plugin for outlines, clearly described here. Create a file with the extension otl, and you'll get some visual help in managing an outline.

Whitespace denotes indentation level, colons mark text content. It builds on the vim folding commands:

  • zc: collapse hierarchy

  • zo: expand hierarchy one level

  • zO: expand hierarchy all the way

  • [z: move to header (]z move to next header]



There are also some commands specific to vimoutliner. these are introduced with a double comma, and listed in the documentation

Finally, it's possibe to get ascii checkbox functionality, a little like emacs org-mode. This requires installing a plugin-for-the-plugin, and I've not yet tried it. Details in :help vimoutliner

The real get out of my head command is this perfect incarnation of my own notation for marking tasks as done:

,,T normal Pre-pend timestamp (HH:MM:SS) to heading

No comments:

Post a Comment