An introduction

This is a semi-public place to dump text too flimsy to even become a blog post. I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you have a lot of time to waste. You'd be better off at my livejournal. I also have another blog, and write most of the French journal summaries at the Eurozine Review.

Why do I clutter up the internet with this stuff at all? Mainly because I'm trying to get into the habit of displaying as much as possible of what I'm doing in public. Also, Blogger is a decent interface for a notebook

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Long-grain pontiff

I'm less than overwhelmed by Michael Bracewell's book England is Mine. I do have to admit, though, that he has a nice turn of phrase -- even if it is in a style that must have landed him in Pseuds Corner:

So pop, despite itself, became arty. English society, high on the new convenience foods, allowed English culture to develop a kind of boil-in-the-bag popism as the successor to the beans on toast of social realism. [80]


[slightly less entertaining on re-reading, when I realise that "boil-in-the-bag popism" probably means music rather than the Bishop of Rome]

No comments:

Post a Comment