An introduction

This is a semi-public place to dump text too flimsy to even become a blog post. I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you have a lot of time to waste. You'd be better off at my livejournal. I also have another blog, and write most of the French journal summaries at the Eurozine Review.

Why do I clutter up the internet with this stuff at all? Mainly because I'm trying to get into the habit of displaying as much as possible of what I'm doing in public. Also, Blogger is a decent interface for a notebook

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

GTD repeating

I'm an intermittent fan of GTD. That is, I tend to ignore it for a while, and then

This largely depends on what's happenign in my life; there are long stretches where I only need to deal with one or two large projects. Since GTD is optimized for managers needing to track a large number of small tasks, it's not much use for me. But then live spins out of control, and I return to David Allen for some imitation of control.
Within GTD, the big problem is that it doesn't handle big tasks very well. Often a project consists of "Do this. Then do it another 850 times, over the next 3 moths". Sure, I can keep adding each chunk to my next actions, but it doesn't really help. What I need is something to remind me that I need to work on the task, show and recognize the work I'm putting into it, and otherwise keep out of the way.

So, I took a look round online to figure out how to deal with the problem. Turns out there isn't one; everybody has bolted her own system onto it. Sucks, really it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment