An introduction

This is a semi-public place to dump text too flimsy to even become a blog post. I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you have a lot of time to waste. You'd be better off at my livejournal. I also have another blog, and write most of the French journal summaries at the Eurozine Review.

Why do I clutter up the internet with this stuff at all? Mainly because I'm trying to get into the habit of displaying as much as possible of what I'm doing in public. Also, Blogger is a decent interface for a notebook

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Snippets of music

I don't understand music well enough to write more than a few lines about most songs. Seems a shame, though, to let them pass without any note. Start with tracks recommended by Troy, as 'intensely passonate about unlikely topics':

Numerology - These New Puritans (who really, really want to know what your favourite number is.)

That's...surprisingly aggressive. I can kind of imagine being cornered in a dark alley by a gang of numerologists (triads?) and given this grilling. Somewhere between Tarantino and Monty Python. On a related topic, I give you a number romance. [do have a poke around on that site; I suspect at least some of it would appeal]

Fifty On Our Foreheads - White Lies (who are on a spaceship to the sun, and all going to die.)


ah, there's nothing quite like an inexplicable science fiction dystopia. Questionable Content at one point had a motivational poster saying "Work harder, or we will fly you into the sun". Now I know what they meant :)

Leechwife - Rasputina (cheating, as I already gave this to someone else, but on the other hand it really is intensely passionate about leeches)

I want to slip this into a school/university careers service, see if anybody takes up the suggestion.

Johnny On The Monorail - The Buggles (who are surprisingly intense for a song from that long ago. you know, about a monorail.)

oh, this is _fantastic_. I've spent most of my underground journeys this year in a state of inexplicable temporary bliss; now I have a soundtrack for it. Certainly my favourite of the five.

My Boy Builds Coffins - Florence & the Machine
Nice. I'd somehow avoided hearing any Florence & the Machine; I like. Had thought "hell, getting passionate about coffins, that's hardly unusual". Turns out it s.

No comments:

Post a Comment