An introduction

This is a semi-public place to dump text too flimsy to even become a blog post. I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you have a lot of time to waste. You'd be better off at my livejournal. I also have another blog, and write most of the French journal summaries at the Eurozine Review.

Why do I clutter up the internet with this stuff at all? Mainly because I'm trying to get into the habit of displaying as much as possible of what I'm doing in public. Also, Blogger is a decent interface for a notebook

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Goth clubs in Berlin

[from a comment posted elsewhere]


There's a goth club listing at http://etoile.de/; Berlin is in the section 'PLZ-Bereich 1'. You can probably read through the genre descriptions and club addresses without needing much German.

The Kit Kat Club is -- well, if you've had it recommended, you probably have an idea. I like it, although I've not been since a couple of years ago, when it was in a different venue. [I stopped going after seeing a page on their site seemingly saying that they don't want Turks or feminists in the club. Probably it's just an unfortunately-worded page, but it didn't make me want to go back]

Also on the sex end of the spectrum, check out Insomnia. It's a fetish club, with a monthly goth night called 'angel in bondage'.

K17 is the largest and most regular goth club, with a big dose of metal and industrial. On a Friday or Saturday, they generally have four floors: one trad goth and 80s, one electro/industrial, and two small ones for metal. The venue is ugly as hell, but also huge.

If you fancy going out on a Monday night, Duncker is a lovely smallish club, with a lot of regulars and a friendly atmosphere. They (always?) have some kind of barbeque-type food in their back courtyard, and will keep going until Tuesday morning. I think there's also a small goth market there every other sunday afternoon (http://www.darkmarket.de/).

Other places: Kato is more rock-oriented, and has lots of smallish live gigs. ACUD and Sama-Cafe are squats (perhaps legalised; I'm not sure), which do goth/wave nights. They're incredibly cheap (to make them accessible to everybody; do pay a bit more if you can!). Expect plenty of shabby-looking punks and people out of their heads on (cheap) Sternberg beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment