An introduction

This is a semi-public place to dump text too flimsy to even become a blog post. I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you have a lot of time to waste. You'd be better off at my livejournal. I also have another blog, and write most of the French journal summaries at the Eurozine Review.

Why do I clutter up the internet with this stuff at all? Mainly because I'm trying to get into the habit of displaying as much as possible of what I'm doing in public. Also, Blogger is a decent interface for a notebook

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Attacking the poor in Sao Paulo

Jim Jay has an impressively wide reading list; he's always pointing out interesting articles I'd never have found otherwise.
A recent link from Jim Jay's impressively wide reading-list: violent slum clearance in an area of Sao Paulo called 'Capao Redondo'*.

This kind of thing is doubtless happening all the time; there's a general bubble that I almost always ignore. I only notice it now because I'm midway through Mike Davis' book 'planet of slums'. Davis does a particularly good job of taking slum settlement and clearances out of the falsely clear-cut world of legal vs. illegal, and pointing out the nexus of power and money -- tolerance of 'illegal' slums either because they are inevitable (the people have nowhere else to go) or even because squatters help prepare land which can then be developed privately.

*Not knowing anything about Brazil, I'm flummoxed the details. Wikipedia claims the population of CapÄo Redondo as 300,000, but the eviction seems to be only of a far smaller area within that.

No comments:

Post a Comment